This tour is ideal if you wish to explore the
rural region of the Drome Provencal by bike, but without the thought of having to cover any great distance or move each day. From your very comfortable accommodation (guesthouse) in Valreas you set out each day to explore this region.
The rides are usually about 20 to 30kms long in the form of a loop usually, taking between 3 to 4 hours depending on the gradients and the weather. They are in ascending order of difficulty as the week progresses and we include a day's ride in the famous Luberon Valley with visit to famous hilltop villages, Roussillon, Gordes and Menerbes.
A minibus and trailer is used to allow for a greater variety of rides. Lunches are picnics are taken either during the ride or back at the Guesthouse by the pool. You visits olive mills, wine caves, provencal markets, hill villages and, as bad weather extras, visits to Orange and Avignon. There is always time to relax by the pool with a book and a cool drink ... or even a siesta!
You will stay in a delightful Guest house in Valreas run by an Anglo French couple. All rooms are ensuite and there is a comfortable lounge with TV. It is only 5 minutes walk into the town for that evening drink. The pool is set in a lovely garden and meals are taken on the terrace.The superb host is an expert provencal cook so look forward to some very appetising meals.
The bikes are 'all-terrain' with 26 gears, comfortable saddles and ideal for the minor roads & farm tracks that we include in the rides.
- A delightful flat ride from Vinsobres through vineyards on minor roads and tracks and then via minor roads with some ascents to the villages of Buisson and then Villedieu.
- The famous wine villages of Rasteau, Cairanne, Gigondas and Seguret.
Distance 30kms - 4hrs.30 with stops.
- The circuit of the Papal Enclave from Valreas via Richerenches of Knight templars fame and passing through Visan with its medieval heart and superb chapel. 33kms - 3 to 4 hrs with stops.
- The Valley of Toulourenc and the hills of Provence. 33kms - 4 hrs with stops.
OR... A day in the Luberon with rides to Menerbes, Roussillon and Gordes. 5hrs 30km.
- The Dentelles circuit from Malaucene via hamlets of Suzette, Lafare & Le Barroux 30kms - 4hrs.